Sunday, March 24, 2013

A Thought on Wishes


I was recently discussing future plans with a friend and I made the comment: “I wish.” She said “Nope, it's not a wish or it always will be. It's got to be a plan.” While I think there’s some truth to that statement, I think she misunderstood my definition of a wish. A lot of people say “I wish…” sarcastically, as a remark when the possibility of accomplishing whatever task they are talking about is so remote, that it is out of the likelihood of possibility. But I disagree. I think that a wish is a hope for something better and there is a quiet power in that kind of hope. That kind of power is within all of us. It enables us to perform miracles and overcome difficult circumstances to accomplish our hopes and dreams. When we tap into it, we are strengthened and uplifted. It helps us to reach our greatest potential.

In a famous Disney song, it is said that “a dream is a wish your heart makes.” Could you think of a more honest and intimate manifestation of our desires? On the outside, we censor ourselves. We deny ourselves happiness. But when we hope, dream, and wish, we open ourselves to our truest, rawest, and deepest selves. We open ourselves to the possibility of finding true happiness. And that is a beautiful thing. So go wish on a star, or cast a penny into the water. Take the chance of changing your outlook. You never know what dreams might come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment